Last Updated By: Weston Woolworth, August 2018
How to Set Up 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) in Office 365
1. Setting up 2 Factor Authentication in Office 365
2. Setting up mobile app push notification (Recommended)
Setting Up 2 Factor Authentication in Office 365:
1. Go to https://outlook.office365.com and log into your account. If you are already signed in, you will need to sign out first, then log in again.
2. You will receive the following prompt:
3. Click “Set it up now”.
4. Choose “Authentication Phone” and input your phone number, select the Text or Call method (your preference), and click “Next”.
5. Enter the verification code.
6. Click "Verify" once you have entered the code, and 2FA is completely set up.
Setting Up Mobile App Authentication:
This process will allow you to approve 2FA requests from push notifications to a mobile device.
2. Check the "Authenticator App" checkbox and click "Configure"
3. Download the Microsoft Authenticator app for your mobile device and follow the instructions on the screen (For information on how to download, go to the Microsoft Authenticator Download Page)
(note: if you cannot see the Next button on your screen, you may need to change your display settings. To do so, right click on your desktop, select Display Settings, and adjust change the size of text, apps, and other items to 100%.)
4. Click "Next" and wait until it finishes verifying
5. Under "What's your preferred Option?" select "Notify me through app"
6. Click "Save" and select "Verify Preferred Option"
7. Approve notification to the mobile app to complete the setup process