Last Updated By: Bennett Criss, February 2018
Purpose: Setting up Google Backup and Sync for backing up files on windows.
Updating Windows to Version 1709 - In order for Google Backup and Sync to work consistently and correctly, Windows must be updated to version 1709.
Note: This is a large update that may take as long as 30-45 minutes to install. You may want to do this either during your lunch break or at the end of the day.
1. If you are using Windows 10, please see these instructions:
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select “Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.”
2. If you are using Windows 7, please see these instructions:
Click Start and type "update" in the search box. In the list of results, click Windows Update. In the details pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer. If there is a link for Check online for updates from Microsoft Update, click on it. If you see a message telling you that important or optional updates are available, or telling you to review important or optional updates, click the message to view the updates to install. In the list, select the check box for the updates that you want to install, click OK, and then click Install updates.
Note: If you have any questions about the available updates, please give the IT Service Desk a call.
Option A. Upgrade From An Existing Backup and Sync Installation - If Backup and Sync has already been installed on your computer
1. In the bottom right of your screen, you should see a popup about the replacement of Google Drive with Google Backup and Sync. Click on "Open Preferences".
Note: If you do not see the popup, look for the Backup and Sync icon in the bottom right of your taskbar (shown in the picture below), click on it, and click the three dots in the upper-right and go to Preferences.
2. In the preference box that comes up, select the "My Laptop" (or My Macbook Pro) option. Make sure that "Documents and Pictures" are selected.
3. Click the Google Drive option on the side and make sure the folder location is set to your Desktop and that you clicked "Sync everything in My Drive". Then click "Ok."
Note: If this folder is anything but your Desktop, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk.
4. You're done!
Option B. Upgrading Without An Existing Backup and Sync Installation - If Backup and Sync has not been installed on your computer
Note: You will need administrative permissions for this, so contact the IT Service Desk if you are unable to complete these instructions.
1. To determine whether your computer has Google Drive currently set up, you need to look in the bottom right of your computer's taskbar and look for the Google Drive icon. You may need to click on the arrow to expand the icon list.
2. Open a web browser and go to https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/. Click "Download Backup and Sync". Click Agree and Download in the screen that pops up.
3. Go to your downloads and run the downloaded file. It will then prompt you for administrative credentials.
4. Once Backup and Sync installs, open up your Start Menu (the Windows button in the bottom left) and type in "Backup and Sync" (or as much of that as it takes to bring up that option in the Start Menu). Once the option becomes available for you, click on it.
5. Click "Get Started."
6. Sign in with your TMU Faculty/Staff email and password.
7. Click "Got It."
8. Make sure the check box for "Desktop" is not checked, but "Documents" and "Pictures" are. Click "Next".
9. On the next page, click "Change" and select "Desktop" in the window that pops up. Click "Select Folder". Make sure the option for "Sync everything in My Drive" is selected. Click "Start".
Note: If you are on a Mac, leave the default folder location and just select Desktop, as well as Documents and Pictures in the folder selection.
10. Click the arrow in the bottom right of your taskbar and make sure that the cloud icon for "Backup and Sync" shows up.
11. You're done!